Relocating to Maine?
Like any important decision in life, you'll want to make sure you know what to expect in each step of the home-buying process in order to make smart choices. Establishing your goals, selecting a trusted agent, and securing pre-approval for loans — these are just some of the key components of making your home search a breeze. With the right support system and the help of a RE/MAX® professional, you can make the most informed decisions about your Maine property search.
With our step-by-step home buyer’s guide, start your journey feeling confident and prepared with local real estate experts at RE/MAX® Collaborative. From Western and Northern Maine to Southern and Coastal Maine, these home buying tips will help you secure your next great investment. Call 207-403-9125 or connect with an agent online to start looking for your dream home!
Maine Home Buying Tips from Our RE/MAX® Experts
Step 1: Choose a RE/MAX® agent
Regardless of whether you intend to simply invest or to make the property your primary residence, all home purchases are critical investments. Both your money and your time will be spent on the property, no matter its purpose. Whether you’re buying your first home, relocating, or just moving down the street — you want a trusted professional by your side.
RE/MAX® Collaborative agents are qualified professionals here to make the home-buying process work for you. We will help guide you through your home search, purchase agreements, inspections, closing matters, and more. Our agents are your advocates, so let us do what we do best and secure your next home with no hassle to you.
Step 2: Determine your financial standing
Knowing what your budget is upfront will save you both time and stress – and, in fact, money. Talking to a mortgage professional and even getting pre-approved for a loan can help you establish your buying power. You will need to know what you can afford, how much you can feasibly put towards a down payment, what your loan options are, and any additional costs or fees associated with purchasing a home. Consider asking your RE/MAX® Collaborative agent for a referral; our agents understand your needs and will help find the right professional for you and your unique needs.
Step 3: Define your home search needs
It’s always best to start any decision-making process with some forethought into your goals for the future. Consider this: why are you looking for a property now and what are your needs? Are you looking to purchase your first home to leave your rental? Will the property be an investment as a future source of income?
Determining the reasons why you want to purchase a home early on will help you make important decisions with relative ease by narrowing your property search. Knowing your preferences on things such as property features or location will help you filter out homes that don’t meet your criteria.
Step 4: Make an offer
When you’ve found a property you love enough to make an offer on, your agent will negotiate a fair offer based on comparable homes in the area. If the homeowners accept your offer, you’ll make a down payment and be officially under contract. During the due-diligence period between signing the purchase agreement and closing on your home, your agent can help you understand the conditions, provisions, and obligations of your contract. They will also help navigate you through the appraisal and inspection processes – some of which may have limited timeframes.
Step 5: Close on your home
The final stretch in the home-buying process can often be the most stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. As the final step in your journey, closing is the official transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer. At closing, you will sign your mortgage paperwork to solidify your purchase. From there, you officially become a homeowner and will be handed the keys to your new home so you can begin making memories.
Start Your Maine Home Search with RE/MAX® Collaborative
If you’ve defined your home search goals, discussed them with your RE/MAX® agent, and determined what your buying power is, then you’re fully prepared to find your Maine dream home! In addition to our agent’s local knowledge of the current Maine real estate market, RE/MAX® Collaborative offers online tools to make your property search as easy as possible.
- Find a Home Using Our Interactive Map Search: We know that location plays an important role in the home buying process. Use the interactive map search available on our website to view all homes located in or near the area you love.
- Get to Know the Neighborhood: Feel confident and informed about your neighborhood choice! On any listing page, you can learn more about the communities you are interested in, including a breakdown of the local population, school ratings, and more.
- Search Listings by Criteria: If you already know the exact property types and features you need, then more specific property searches may be what you're looking for. With our list of popular and recommended property searches, you can find curated listings grouped in categories by location, property type, price, feature, and more.
- Create an Account on Our Website: Sign up for a free account on our website to save your top searches, favorite the homes you really love, receive real-time property alerts, and more!
- Download Our RE/MAX Mobile App: Available for iOS and Android devices, our app brings the same experience found on our website to your smartphone or tablet. Save searches, favorite listings, and schedule showings — all while on the go!